Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A Few Tips
After your home or business faces fire damage, whether that be from unexpected sparks or grease fires, SERVPRO of Grosse Point is ready to respond and ready to restore. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
While you wait for our SERVPRO of Grosse Point professionals to arrive, there are a few steps you can take before help arrives to minimize further damage.
Use the following tips below to guide you through cleaning up while you wait for assistance to arrive, and always remember to use caution because items damaged by water can become extremely heavy.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (313) 882-5499
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.